Desserts: Red Velvet Cake
This recipe originally appeared on Bake from Scratch.
- 1 c unsalted butter, room temperature
2 c granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 c buttermilk
- 1 oz red velvet emulsion (or liquid red food coloring)
- 1 tbsp distilled white vinegar
2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 c AP flour
- 1/2 c unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
Preheat oven to 350 °F. Spray pans with baking spray.
Makes 3 8 inch round cakes.
Follow creaming method.
Bake 28-30 minutes.
Let cool for 10 minutes before depanning.
- The original recipe called for liquid red food coloring. When I made this, I used red velvet emulsion instead.
- You can substitue the 1 c of buttermilk with 3/4 c of whole milk. Buttermilk is thicker.