Desserts: Carrot Cake
This recipe originally appeared on Sally’s Baking Addiction.
- 2 c pecans, 1 c for the cake & 1 c for garnish
- 1 1/2 c brown sugar
- 1/2 c granulated sugar
- 1 c vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 c unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 c AP flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 2 c grated carrots
Preheat oven to 300 °F. Toast the pecans for 8 minutes.
Turn oven up to 350 °F.
In a large mixing bowl, mix dry ingredients. In another mixing bowl, mix wet ingredients. Pour wet ingredients on top of dry ingredients. (Remember, when baking, sugar and brown sugar are always considered wet ingredients.)
- 3 cake pans: bake 20 - 24 minutes
- 2 cake pans: bake 30 - 35 minutes
- Cupcakes: bake 20 - 22 minutes
- Bundt cake: bake 60 - 75 minutes
You will definitely want cream cheese frosting for this cake.
- This makes enough batter for 2 6 inch round cakes plus 8 cupcakes. Perfect for sharing!